Fresh Vegan Summer Tacos
Everyone seems to love tacos, but too often they include ingredients not part of a healthy diet. The typical taco is made from a deep fried flour (gluten) tortilla and topped with high fat meat (beef, pork or chicken), beans fried in lard and sour cream. Perhaps the only inherently healthy part of a classic taco is the avocado.
This recipe leaves all the bad behind and leaves you with a colorful, healthy, light meal that won’t leave you feeling heavy and sluggish afterwards.
The recipe couldn’t be simpler since no cooking is required. The completely raw aspect made it cool and refreshing, especially on a hot summer day when you’re enjoying a picnic or bar-b-que with friends.
Another option to consider is to saute or grill the bell peppers, warm up the black beans, and warm or lightly grill the tortillas. If you’re not a fan of cilantro, opt for shredded romaine lettuce, arugula or even chopped parsley. If you’re not interested in the sunflower seeds, try substituting with your favorite salsa.
This recipe is easily adaptable, so feel free to make yours with the ingredients you most enjoy, just keep it healthy.
- 1 organic red bell pepper, sliced into 1″ – 2” strips
- 1 organic orange bell pepper, sliced into 1″- 2” strips
- 1 organic yellow bell pepper, sliced into 1″ – 2” strips
- 2 large organic avocados, mashed
- 1-15 ounce can organic black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 cup of micro cilantro, washed (optional: you can use any micro green of your choice or just chop parsley finely)
- 1 individual container Forager Cashewgurt, unsweetened plain (optional: a dairy-free yogurt made from coconut or almond)
- 1 package Siete Almond Flour Tortillas; or gluten-free tortillas of your choice
- McCormick Gourmet Seasoning, Southwest (contains chili pepper, black pepper, paprika, chipotle chili pepper, onion, garlic, and salt), use to taste
- Pink Himalayan sea salt, use to taste
- Optional: 4 lemon wedges, each plate receives one
- Optional garnish: Living Intentions Sprouted sunflower seeds in Japaleno Mojo
Mix red, orange, and yellow peppers in a medium sized bowl with the Southwest seasoning and salt to taste, set aside.
Mix the black beans with the Southwest seasoning and salt to taste, set aside.
Build your taco: Begin with your tortilla and layer on top ¼ of each ingredient: the mashed avocado, seasoned black beans, seasoned bell pepper strips, cilantro, a squeeze of lemon if using, a drizzle of cashewgurt, and garnish with the sunflower seeds. You can layer some salsa under the “yogurt” if you’re using it.