Pumpkin Chia Pudding
Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
Pie is always a good idea. Isn’t that a line from a movie? But it’s true!
Typically though, “pie” means sugar, dairy, gluten, and a lot of calories. I remember the “coma-like” feeling engendered by holiday pies. Gosh they were good going down, but later I felt exhausted and had a headache, not to mention an upset stomach. Perhaps too much information…
Let’s get back to this pie – it’s delicious, creamy, sweet and rich, without any refined sugar, and won’t have you feeling the “post-pie” blues later on.
Chia seeds, which bring the thickness to the pie’s center, are a super food in their own right. They are very low calorie, yet full of omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, and minerals like magnesium. Quick tip: you must grind the chia seeds to extract their fatty acid goodness.
Pumpkin is a healthy vegetable; it’s too bad we forget about it for most of the year. It’s very low in calories yet high in beta carotene (which converts to vitamin A) and boasts a long list of other vitamins and minerals that it provides.
Ingredients for Chia Pudding
- 4 Tablespoons organic chia seeds, ground
- 1 cup organic unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie Mousse Layer
- ½ cup organic raw cashews
- 5 Tablespoons organic coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/4 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Combine the chia seeds, almond milk, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract in a medium sized bowl. Place in the fridge for an hour to thicken.
- Boil water and pour over cashews. Let the cashews soak for 30 minutes minimum, then drain off the water.
- Transfer the cashews to a food processor with the coconut milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice, blending until smooth.
- Pour the chia seed pudding into two glass dessert cups and top with the pumpkin mousse.
- Transfer to the fridge for an hour or two before serving to let the mousse thicken – or eat immediately if you just can’t wait!